THE UNITED STATES, LIBERTY, AND THE SABBATH JUBILEE YEARS
The Liberty Bell, currently located in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, is an iconic symbol of American independence.
The first line cast into the bronze metal of the Liberty Bell is quoted from Leviticus 25:10 (King James version):
“PROCLAIM LIBERTY THROUGHOUT [ALL] THE LAND AND UNTO ALL INHABITANTS THEREOF”
On July 8th, 1776 the bell rang out to summon the people to hear the Declaration of Independence.
Unfortunately, the United States has not obeyed the Law of Jubilee. Some fifty-nine years later, in 1835 while the bell was being rung. it cracked. Never to rung again.
THE HISTORY OF THE JEWS IN RELATION TO THE SABBATICAL AND JUBILEE YEARS
In Josephus’ book Antiquities (History) of the Jews, historical events are recorded during Sabbatical years.
Antiochus besieged Judas Maccabeus and the Jerusalem Temple during a Sabbatical Year. The war between Ptolemy and Hyranus and taxes not paid to Caesar happened during the seventh year. Josephus states that Herod the Great’s plundering of the wealthy and the dead for silver and gold to give to Anthony, was during a Sabbatical Year. In Whistan’s footnotes to Josephus, he says “the great famine and pestilence occurring during Herod the Great reign was worse than the famine of the day of Ahab”.
WHY DID ISRAEL GO INTO CAPTIVITY?
In Leviticus 26, the verses tell us plainly, that one of the reasons was Israel had not let the land rest. Also in Jeremiah 34:8-17, Israel reneged and didn’t free their Hebrew servants in the Year of Release. God would proclaim “liberty” to the cruel taskmasters; to the sword, pestilence, famine and captivity. 2 Chronicles 36:14-21 describes how Judah mocked God’s prophets and so were carried away to Babylon, until the land had enjoyed her sabbaths. The land of Israel rested seventy years before the Jews returned from captivity.
PROPHECY IS LIKE AN ONION
When we read through the Old Testament, often the prophecy has already been fulfilled. But not all things have come to past yet. There is still more to be revealed in the last days.
“That which is now already has been, and that which is to be already has been; and God seeks that which has passed by [so that history repeats itself]” (Ecclesiastes 3:15).
“The thing that has been–it is what will be again, and that which has been done is that which will be done again; and there is nothing new under the son” (Ecclesiastes 1:9).
Although the Old testament Prophets saw God’s Word revealed to the people in their day, there were prophecies they knew were true and had faith in God’s words but never realized them; not manifested before them. It was like peeling an onion one layer at a time.
WHEN WILL THE NEXT SABBATICAL AND JUBILEE YEARS OCCUR?
My detective work for answering the question was again found in William Whistan’s footnotes to Josephus’ Antiquities. How accurate the dating is might be controversial but I am sticking with it to get your attention.
“24 B.C. was a Sabbatical Year and 23 B.C. was a Jubilee Year. This would mean that A.D. 27 was a Sabbatical Year and A.D. 28 was a Jubilee Year. If this is true, then Sabbatical Years would occur in 2013, 2020, and 2027 (every seven years) with the next Jubilee Year in 2028.
JESUS IS CALLING THE CHURCH
Gallup Research Organization recently said,that 40% of all Americans, 118 million people say they attend worship services the previous week. THAT’S A LOT OF PEOPLE IN CHURCH! But, Kirk Hadawe and Penny Marler found that only 20.4 % of the population actually attended. Their reasoning? People simple lied about their attendance!
I discovered some interesting facts from the Schaeffer Institute by Dr. Richard Krejcir on church growth today:
“These Churches were marked with solid Bible teaching and treated each other and outsiders with good hospitality.”
— Churches that practiced 80% to 100% of the 44 grew 18.8 %
— Churches that practiced 60% to 79% of the 44 grew 10.2%
— Churches that practiced 50% to 59% of the 44 grew 3.8%
These Churches were marked with gossip and conflict and poor Bible teaching:
–Churches that practiced 10% to 29% of the 44 decreased 1.2%
–Churches that practiced less than 10% of the 44 decreased 17>6%
I need to point out from the study, even the highly successful churches; the rate of growth by converting new Christians was only up to an average of 5% to 10% of their increase. Most people came from other churches [“church swappers”]. But in comparison, the lower stat churches had few to none in conversions.
JESUS is calling America!
WHEN NATIONS OBSERVE GOD’S WORD
If a nation or groups of people observed the Sabbatical and Jubilee Years they would be tremendously BLESSED instead of CURSED;
1. NO CRUSHING DEBT
2. NO IMBALANCE OF THE VERY RICH AND THE VERY POOR
3. LAND VALUES WOULD BE RELATIVELY STABLE
4. INFLATIONS AND DEPRESSIONS WOULDN’T OCCUR
5. THE LAW OF GOD WOULD BE TAUGHT IN DETAIL –every 7th year resulting in good government and prosperity.
If we Christian believers will observe the practices written in Leviticus 25, in the 7th year God promises us that we will dwell in the promised land. God also says in Leviticus 25:20, 21:
“And if you say, What shall we eat in the seventh year if we are not to sow or gather in our increase? Then [this is My answer:] I will command My [special] blessings on you in the sixth year…”
According to Josephus book Antiquities (History) of the Jews, next year (2012) is the sixth year. A year of gathering in the “fruit of the land”. A time for the outpouring of the Holy Spirit on the land.
In 1910 on Azusa Street in Los Angeles, California, a black man by the name of William Seymour sat on a small platform with an empty box on his head. He said that he wouldn’t remove the box until God spoke to him. Can you even imagine a man sitting with his head covered in church this next Sunday?
He eventually removed the box from his shoulders an prophesied that in a 100 years, there would be an outpouring of God’s Spirit and His Shekinah Glory that will be greater and more for reading that what was experienced at Azusa.
Well, 2010 has come and left. Has Pastor’s Seymour’s prophesy shown up in our land? Maybe, but the world is a large place and the church is hearing stories of the outpouring of Holy Spirit everywhere. In Yoido Full Gospel Church, a Pentecostal church in Yeoiudo in Seoul South Korea, they had 1,000,000 people on the membership roles (2007). In 2010, their membership dropped to 780,000 members. What happened? The Pastor, Young Hoon Lee said it has been good for the church to reduce its membership by over 300,000 people. They now have 20 Satellite congregations and more than 1000 new converts are being added to the church…EVERY MONTH!
In 1975, John W. Peterson and Don Wyrtzen wrote a cantata called “I Love America”. The Church Choir that I was singing in at the time decided to perform the music at Organ Power Pizza for the 200th anniversary of America in July 1976. In the cantata, was a song called “Jesus Is Calling America” which was appropriate then and at anytime. And since we as a country, on September 27-28, 2012 will enter the 6th year in the Sabbatical Year at Yom Kippur (the Day of Atonement), I thought I would give you a few lines from the song; the ones I remembered.
“Jesus Is Calling America”
Jesus is calling America Calling her back to the fold
Jesus is calling America Calling the young and the old
Jesus is calling America Back from her sinning ways
NOW IS THE TIME: “FOR SEED, TIME AND HARVEST”
If the sixth year, the year before the Sabbatical Year doesn’t begin until September 2012, can we start preparing now? Good question if that is your thought. And the answer is YES! Now is the time of preparation.
1. If you don’t have a freezer, NOW IS THE TIME to purchase one. The size will be determined on the size of your family and the ages of the children. When there is a meat sale, start freezing now. Meat, berries, vegetables, cheeses, butter, etc.
2. Do you have a pantry inside the house or one in the garage? Stock it with can staples and rice. Beans, sardines, tuna, tomatoes, etc. WARNING! Don’t become a ‘hoarder”. When the Israelites were in the wilderness for forty years, God provided Manna [manna bread like coriander seed, white, and it tasted like wafers made with honey–Exodus 16:15, 31]. God also provided meat in the evening, or quail for His children to eat. However, according to Scripture, each one was to gather the food provided; “each, gathered according to his need” (Exodus 16:18). If they gathered too much bread and meat during the day, it would spoil.
3. Water storage. Start filling clean 3-liter empty bottles with good filtered water. Don’t wait for next year; NOW IS THE TIME to start. Water is a neccessity of life. You can abstain from food for a time, but water…?
CHURCHES SHOULD PREPARE–NOW IS THE TIME
1. If you don’t have a large closet or small room to store extra food for your community, NOW IS THE TIME! Promote it to your membership in bringing in staples to the storehouse; have a list made and someone who will lead in the ‘gathering’. Remember Joseph’s leading in Egypt in the Book of Genesis.
2. Relationship building with non-believers. NOW IS THE TIME! I once heard a story about a church who was going to have a one day women’s conference and luncheon. They were encouraged to invite an un-churched friend or non-believer to the meeting. One lady voluntarily said, “I don’t know any women like that. I just have relationships with ladies in the church”. Will your church be ready for the outpouring of the Spirit in 2012-2013? JESUS IS CALLING AND HE IS CALLING YOU! Don’t wait. Start building new relationships TODAY! Ask God to send you someone.